RTA has projects underway and is planning for future projects. Learn more about RTA’s current projects.
St. Charles Streetcar Line Downtown Loop Pavement Replacement Project
The project objective is to remove deteriorating asphalt pavement along the tracks throughout the entire downtown loop of St. Charles Streetcar Line and replace it with concrete in order to improve driving conditions and eliminate constantly required asphalt repairs. Due to resources limitation, the project was split into two phases. Phase 1 (which is complete) encompassed pavement replacement along both St. Charles Ave. and Carondelet St. from Julia St. to Poydras St., while Phase 2 encompass pavement replacement along the rest of the loop.
Construction started Monday, October 18, 2021 and will conclude in March 2022.
Construction will occur along both St. Charles Ave. and Carondelet St. from Canal St. to Poydras and from Julia St. to Howard Ave.
- The project will require a single lane closure on both streets, which means that the lane of traffic that is typically shared with streetcars will have to remain closed and all motorists will be channeled into a single lane of traffic within each street block where work is in progress
- When the shared streetcar/travel lane is closed, the adjacent curb lane will also be closed
- No more than two total blocks of a single street will be worked on at a time
- All intersections will remain open
- To improve driving conditions
- To create safer conditions by eliminating tripping hazards
- To eliminate the need for frequent asphalt repairs
- To eliminate excessive wear to the tracks
Example of Completed Construction (From Phase 1)